A solid idea of career direction creates great applications. Whatever your career decision stage, this session will help identify your values, strengths and skills to help pinpoint career direction and create stronger CVs and applications.
During the session you will also be given some techniques and resources to research roles and information to plan your career year whilst at UCL to help you achieve your goals.
By the end of the event, you will be able to
- Better identify your unique set of values, skills and strengths to help clarify your career direction
- Articulate three ways to research the careers market and career options
- Evaluate how your unique set of skills and strengths maps onto the job market to identify roles in which you will thrive and have something to offer
- Evaluate the steps and timings in the job application process so you can more effectively plan your job search given the demands of coursework
- Articulate some of the ways the careers service can support you over the year
This event is part of Stream 1 of the Finding Your Future series for students starting Postgraduate degrees at UCL School of Management in September 2020.
Before the event
Career decision making takes some reflection. It is also important to be able to identify and articulate your skills and strengths to craft great applications.
For this important first session on career direction we would like you to do some thinking prior to the session, so please complete the following three worksheets.
One allows you to audit your values, a key criteria for deciding which career or company is right for you. The other two help you to identify your skills through a skills audit, and then take that to the next level using the skills audit results, where you sort these skills according to your capability and engagement with the skill. They shouldn’t take long so please do these before the session as we will be discussing them throughout.
Post event resources
Following the session we thought it would be useful to share a copy of the Powerpoint presentation with the various topics that were covered. You can download a PDF of the slides here.