This module explores how the emerging technologies of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Distributed Ledger Systems (DLT) are affecting our socio-economic systems.
Students will learn the backgrounds of these technologies and then explore how they are affecting business models and processes as well as disrupting industries by creating new market opportunities. Students will examine how different stakeholders are being affected and how organisations can set strategies in the face of these technologies.
The module will introduce tools and frameworks for various stakeholders to understand how to act through the framing of AI as enabling cheaper prediction and DLT as enabling cheaper value transfer.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should:
- Understand how Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and Distributed Ledger Systems (DLT) are affecting businesses, markets, and their stakeholders.
- Understand how to set strategies in the face of AI/ML and DLT.
- Become familiar with tools and frameworks in AI/ML and DLT to understand how to act through the framing of AI as enabling cheaper prediction and DLT as enabling cheaper value transfer.
- Prediction Machines: The Simple Economics of Artificial Intelligence, (ISBN-13: 978-1633695672)
- Catalini, Christian and Gans, Joshua S., Some Simple Economics of the Blockchain (September 21, 2017). Rotman School of Management Working Paper No. 2874598; MIT Sloan Research Paper No. 5191-16. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2874598 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2874598