This module aims to give students an up to the minute understanding of this innovative finance and technology marketplace. Fintech is accelerating change in all areas of our personal and professional financial lives, and the course combines a theoretical understanding of the Fintech ecosystem, with regard to both incumbents and disruptors, with practical exercises, experiences, and interactions. This involves understanding the key players and stakeholders, history, trends, regulations, business models, disruptive technologies, the sources available to enable and accelerate new entrants, and the process and strategies needed to be successful.
- To understand the key areas within Fintech such as: money and payments, lending, crowdfunding/alternative finance, cyber-security/biometrics, wealth advising, data analytics and digital currency.
- Explore and understand the impact of emergent technologies and delivery mechanism
- Explore and understand how the payments space has become saturated with new start-ups and the implications of this for the Fintech landscape.
- Understand how disruptive models in lending came about and continue to provide an alternative in a NIRP environment.
- Discover how crowdfunding, with its’ sophisticated algorithmic platforms, has disrupted traditional investment and lending markets
Online examination (1 hour) 20%, Group field report 80%
Flash Boys, Michael Lewis, W. W. Norton & Company 2014 Industries of the Future, Alec Ross, Simon&Schuster 2016 How fintech firms using mobile/ blockchain technologies to create the Internet of Value –Chris Skinner 2016Selected articles from: Bobsguide.com, efinancialnews.com,Thefinanser.com, Forbes Magazine Business Insider Intelligence (http://uk.businessinsider.com/kpmg-cb-insights-fintech-funding-2016-2017-3), EY (http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY-UK-FinTech-On-the-cutting-edge)and KPMG( https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/pdf/2016/05/the-pulse-of-fintech.pdf),
Breaking Banks: The Innovators, Rogues, and Strategists Rebooting Banking (Wiley 2014), Brett King ISBN 1118900154, 9781118900154Business Funding for Dummies, Helene Panzarino (Wiley 2016) ISBN 9781119111597