The context for the Business Analytics Consulting Project/Dissertation module is management in complex, interconnected, data-driven environments.
Students carry out a consulting project or individual research project on a management topic of their choice.
It is expected that the project will explore a significant issue faced by an organisation operating in a complex, interconnected, data-driven environment and demonstrate how data and analytics can be used to address this issue.
Students will be expected to draw on the full range of knowledge and skills they have developed during the Business Analytics (with specialisation in Management Science) MSc programme, and demonstrate their ability to integrate this knowledge and apply it in novel situations.
Students receive support in the form of lectures and individual 1:1 meetings with their allocated dissertation supervisors.
The dissertation provides students with an opportunity to create a substantial piece of work that highlights their skills and experience, which they can share with potential employers. Students are encouraged to identify suitable projects with companies and other organisations.
The aims of the Business Analytics Consulting Project/Dissertation module are:
- To provide students with an opportunity to demonstrate their in-depth knowledge and understanding of business analytics and how it can be applied in practice.
To provide students with an opportunity to create a substantial piece of work that highlights their skills and experience, which they can share with potential employers.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to:
- Identify and frame a significant management problem.
- Scope and design a management consulting/research project.
- Identify and collect appropriate qualitative and quantitative data.
- Select appropriate concepts, frameworks, tools and techniques to analyse the problem.
- Develop clear conclusions and actionable recommendations.
- Communicate the results of their research to non-specialist audiences.
100% consulting project/dissertation.
Current students should refer to Moodle for specific details of the current year’s assessment.