The context for the Delivering Results Through People module is management in complex, innovation-intensive, data-driven environments and the challenges of designing, building, and operating organisations “made out of people”.
The module is designed for students who have completed Year 1 and Year 2 of the Management Science BSc/MSci programme. In particular, it assumes that students have completed MSIN106P Behavioural Science and MSIN207P Product Technology and Operations Management.
Management’s greatest challenge is delivering results through others. Effective managers transition from focusing on their own performance to developing a team that successfully delivers. They recognise the importance of having the right tools to understand and influence other people, and knowing when and how to apply them. They also understand the importance of organisation culture and how it impacts business performance.
This module is designed to help students develop their skills in understanding and facilitating the performance of others. It introduces students to up-to-date studies on leading high performance teams, motivation, feedback, and reward, and explores the challenges of building teams, managing projects, and working under stress. It provides students with practical tools for managing others and delivering results, based on the current practices of leading companies and consulting firms. The module explores these issues and approaches through practical examples from the day-to-day operations of companies and the challenges of delivering consulting projects.
The aims of the Delivering Results Through People module are:
- To introduce students to the challenges of managing and working with people.
- To provide students with an up-to-date knowledge of relevant academic studies.
- To provide students with insights and examples of the challenges of managing people from selected companies and projects.
- To provide students with a safe environment to practice their people management skills.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to:
- Understand the factors that influence individual and team performance.
- Understand the role of culture in organisational performance and how culture can be designed and implemented.
- Understand different approaches to leadership, such as Strengths Based Leadership, and the use of assessment tools, such as StrengthsFinder 2.0.
- Understand how leading companies are improving performance and engagement by giving people ways to shape their own roles.
- Understand how to create effective teams and deliver results through people.
10% individual coursework of role play scenarios; 30% group coursework of 2,000 words, 60% 2-hour examination
Current students should refer to Moodle for specific details of the current year’s assessment.