Good managers, more than ever need to have a deep understanding of finance and financial markets. This module introduces students to the core ideas of modern financial theory including financial intermediation and institutions, money markets, equity and bond markets, portfolio analysis and CAPM, FX and derivatives. By the end of the course students should be acquainted with the key ideas of modern finance.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to:
- Understand how financial markets operate.
- Analyse equities and bonds.
- Undertake portfolio analysis.
- Price simple financial assets.
- Understand the various derivative instruments and their uses.
- Financial intermediation and institutions.
- Money markets.
- Equity markets.
- Bond markets.
- Portfolio analysis.
90% assessed by exam and 10% assessed by coursework.
Finance and Financial Markets by Keith Pilbeam.