The module covers key elements of Financial Management. It provides students with a conceptual and theoretical basis for making financial decisions. It familiarizes students with matters relating to short and long term financing alternatives, capital budgeting, the dividend policy or how to create and measure shareholder value. The module will as well cover relevant financial management concepts such as the weighted average cost of capital (WACC), the capital structure or the dividend policy. It uses practical examples and cases to explain the goals of financial management and investment practice. It also enables students to use appropriate models and techniques to solve financial problems in the context of uncertainty.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to:
- Understanding key managerial finance issues and their management.
- Identify and appraise investment opportunities, taking account of cost of capital and risk
- Critically evaluate sources of finance and understand the optimal capital structure
- Critically evaluate the implications for capital structures and returns to shareholders
- Understand and manage issues in strategic financial management in the contexts of shareholder value
- Select and apply an appropriate method to value a firm
- Identify the appropriate dividend policy for a firm
- Financial instruments available for corporations including internal and external sources of finance
- How to make sound financial decisions
- How to make decisions on the appropriateness of an investment (capital budgeting)
- Business valuation
- How to create shareholder value
- Capital structure
- Dividend policy
50% unseen 2-hour examination; 40% group report 10% online test (1 hour)
Current students should refer to Moodle for specific details of the current year’s assessment.
The core text is Financial Management for Decision Makers, 7/e, by Peter Atrill ©2014 | University of Plymouth Business School | ISBN-10: 129201606X • ISBN-13: 9781292016061 | ©2014 | Pearson | Paper, 656 pp | Published 19 Jun 2014