The course aims to equip students with an understanding of the main issues in innovation management, an awareness of the key features of success, and an appreciation of the relevant skills needed to manage innovation, by addressing some key questions:
Why do organizations need to manage innovation? What drives innovation and how does it spread? Are there different types of innovation that we need to consider? How does innovation strategy effect implementation? Where can companies get new innovative ideas? What factors influence how mangers much prioritize innovation choices? When putting innovations into practice what are the challenges? How can managers build an organization that thrives on innovation? As a leader, how do you assess your own organizations innovation capabilities and programs?
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to:
- Understand the role of innovation in contributing to organizational success as well as the role of management in leading innovation efforts.
- Identify common opportunities and challenges for companies seeking to innovate.
- Examine various approaches to corporate innovation by comparing and contrasting different options.
- Understand how to nurture innovative capacity in the firm and how to build a creative organization.
- Understand how to evaluate and assess the probable success of different innovation strategies and management approaches.
- Understanding the Fundamentals of Corporate Innovation and Its Management
- Innovation in Context
- Product or Service Innovation
- Developing Innovation Strategy
- Generating Innovative Ideas
- Selecting Innovation Options
- Implementing Innovations
- Building an Innovation Culture
- Measuring Innovative Performance
- Assessing and Evaluating Innovation Programs
60% is awarded on the basis of an unseen 2-hour examination paper in the Summer Term. 30% is awarded for a project; 10% is awarded for a presentation.
Current students should refer to Moodle for specific details of the current year’s assessment.
Goffin, Keith & Mitchell, Rick. 2016. Innovation Management: Effective Strategy and Implementation, 3e. Palgrave. ISBN: 97811373434